Badminton Worlds: Kento Momota lessons boost Victor Lai

Badminton Worlds: Kento Momota lessons boost Victor Lai


New Delhi: Days before the BWF World Championships, Victor Lai made a special trip to Japan to train with Kento Momota, the two-time world champion whose stellar career was unfortunately derailed by a car accident.

Canada’s Victor Lai in action against France’s Alex Lanier in the men’s singles semi-finals of the BWF World Championships at the IGI Stadium in New Delhi on Saturday. (PTI)

Momota was poised to achieve even greater things on court after winning back-to-back World Championships titles in 2018 and 2019 and becoming World No.1. He was widely seen as a successor to Lin Dan at the top of the men’s game. But a freak accident in Malaysia in January 2020, which killed the driver of the car in which he was travelling, impacted his career.

Although Momota made a valiant return to the game, the Japanese player was unable to recapture his previous level. His skills on court — fluid movement, crafty net game and defensive play — are still hailed as among of the best in the game.

Lai, 21, is a big fan of Momota. The world No.7 travelled to Japan to train with him before landing in New Delhi. It was a big moment for the Canadian, who made his breakthrough last year with a surprise bronze at the Paris World Championships, beating some big names along the way.

“I am lucky that I got to train with Kento, he is a legend. There’s so much to learn from him, and I got to learn a lot. The way he moves on the court, his techniques are so smooth. I was lucky to learn from him and prepare for this tournament,” Lai told HT.

It’s already showing results. He toppled former world champion Loh Kean Yew of Singapore and Denmark’s Rasmus Gemke to reach the semi-finals, securing another medal at a major tournament.

On Saturday, Lai lost a battle of two 21-year-olds in the semis as Frenchman Alex Lanier, the 2025 European champion and world No.10, rallied to win 16-21, 21-13, 21-14 in a match of high quality lasting an hour and 25 minutes.

The loss will disappoint Lai, but he is confident and positive, aiming to prove his career is not about highs in one or two tournaments. His second world championships bronze will also boost Canada’s badminton profile.

After his performance at the Paris Worlds brought him into the spotlight, Lai struggled at a few events, losing in the early rounds. This year, winning the Indonesia Open in June gave him the self-belief ahead of the Worlds.

“I always go there as an underdog as I am a young player, so no expectations. Slowly, as I am building and building and starting to get the belief in myself that I can compete against any top player, the results will come,” said Lai.

“I got the confidence last year, just proving it to myself that I can beat the top players or at least belong with them. Even if I have been losing, it’s very close, and that gives me immense belief. That’s the biggest thing.”

When he was going through a tough period, Lai said he trusted the process and didn’t think about the results.

“Coaches asked me to trust the process. So, I kind of had to stick it out. There were some early losses. I thought I would rather focus and not let myself get distracted by thinking about the results.”

Lai is one among a new breed of players gunning for glory at world level. There is no clear favourite in men’s singles at present, which is evident from the upsets at this World Championships. Lai carries the burning ambition of becoming World No.1, but he knows the road will be tougher.

“The competition in men’s singles right now is very, very tough. We already have some six or seven 21-year-olds in the top 30, and then there are other young guys who are coming up, already winning Super 300 events, and they will reach the top 30 soon. So…it’s going to be anyone’s game.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *