Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s Office decides to skip in-person appearance at City Council meeting for which council members complied ‘pages and pages’ of questions about rollout of ‘second house tax’ in the hope that …

New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani extends tax deadline after residents complain that emails you warned us about are 'unclear'


New York City Mayor administration opted not to attend Tuesday’s (August 25) City Council hearing on the rollout of the pied‑à‑terre tax, submitting a written memo instead, according to a report by Business Insider. Finance Commissioner Richard Lee said ongoing litigation prevented him from appearing in person, though he pledged to testify after the lawsuit is resolved. The levy, passed in May, imposes a progressive surcharge on non‑primary residences valued at least $5 million, and condos or co‑ops worth $1 million or more. In late July, the Department of Finance (DOF) sent letters to 17,000 addresses and published valuations for nearly 960,000 properties, sparking confusion and privacy concerns. Some residents reported receiving letters for their primary homes, while others criticized the release of property records.

Why Zohran Mamdani‘s Office stayed away

As reported by Business Insider, in the memo Department of Finance Commissioner Richard Lee detailed that the pending and active litigation prevented him from appearing at the hearing directly. He further added that he would have welcomed the chance to filed council members’ questions in person. Lee also noted that the Administration had asked the Council to postpone the hearing until the litigation was resolved, a request the Council declined. He said he would be prepared and willing to testify in person after August 31.

Council members demand answers

Council Member Gale Brewer said her office has been “bombarded” with constituent complaints and compiled “pages and pages” of questions for the Mayor’s Office. The Council had requested an in‑person briefing, but the administration declined, citing the pending lawsuit.

Defending the release of property data

A central point of contention has been the DOF’s release of home values and addresses ahead of the levy. In his written testimony, Lee maintained that this practice is standard, stating that the City’s assessment roll is “highly accessible to the public, and it has been for many years,” and pushing back directly on any suggestion otherwise. He pointed out that this property data has long been available as a searchable database on both the DOF website and NYC Open Data, with online archives dating back to fiscal year 2009, and that assessment rolls have been required to be published annually in New York for well over a century.

How the controversy started

The uproar began in late July, after the NYC Department of Finance sent letters to roughly 17,000 addresses identified as potential pied-à-terre properties based on property values and internal records. The DOF also published a broader list of more than 900,000 properties and their valuations across the city. Lee clarified in his testimony that this supplemental roll does not itself determine which properties are actually subject to the surcharge; rather, it exists to identify relevant properties and give owners a basis to challenge their valuations. Homeowners have until September 18, an extended deadline, to demonstrate that their property doesn’t qualify for the tax before it could begin appearing on bills starting in 2027.

Residents report confusion and privacy concerns

Some New York residents said on social media that they mistakenly received letters intended for non-primary residences despite the property in question being their primary home, while others said they felt their privacy had been compromised by the DOF’s broader records release. Council Member Gail Brewer, who represents Manhattan’s Upper West Side, told Business Insider that her office has been inundated with concerned constituents in recent weeks, and that she and fellow council members had compiled extensive lists of questions about the rollout that they hoped the Mayor’s Office would address.

A pending lawsuit

Separately, a lawsuit filed by three residents based in Manhattan and Staten Island is pending, with a court date scheduled for August 31. According to court documents, the plaintiffs are seeking emergency relief, arguing that the DOF’s records release caused widespread confusion and invited unwanted scrutiny of homeowners’ personal information. Their attorney, Randy Mastro, said hundreds of thousands of New York City homeowners had been drawn into a process they should never have been part of in the first place.

The city’s response and next steps

The city has hired two dozen staffers specifically to field resident questions about the tax and assist with appeals. The policy itself, passed in May, imposes a progressive levy on non-primary homes valued by the DOF at $5 million or more, and on condos and co-ops valued at $1 million or more. Deputy Press Secretary Matt Rauschenbach previously told Business Insider that the Law Department is prepared to vigorously defend the city against the lawsuit, and said the roughly $500 million a year the levy is expected to raise would help fund cleaner parks, safer streets, and other public investments across the city.In his written testimony, Lee also detailed the broader implementation process, noting that the surcharge was authorized under state legislation passed as part of New York’s 2026/2027 budget on May 28, 2026, with rules formally adopted by DOF on July 14 following a public comment period that included a hearing held July 9. He emphasized that the initial determination letters sent to around 17,000 property owners represent only a small subset of the roughly 960,000 properties listed on the supplemental roll, and stressed that receiving a letter does not constitute a tax bill, only a preliminary determination that owners can challenge by submitting proof of primary residency or by contesting their property’s valuation directly with the Tax Commission.Lee said DOF plans to continue outreach through senior centers, community meetings, its dedicated website, 311, and direct coordination with co-op and condo boards, property managers, and elected officials, describing these efforts as part of a broader commitment to ensuring homeowners have clear information and a fair opportunity to challenge determinations they believe are incorrect.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *