Trump cites nuclear threat while defending conflict with Iran

Trump cites nuclear threat while defending conflict with Iran


US President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended the continuation of the conflict with Iran, saying he would not allow Tehran to develop nuclear weapons regardless of whether the decision is politically “popular” or not.Speaking to reporters outside the White House, Trump said preventing Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons remains a priority for his administration and described the issue as a matter of global security.“Look, everyone tells me it’s unpopular, but I think it’s very popular when you, when they hear that it’s having to do with nuclear weapons, weapons that could take out Los Angeles, could take out major cities very quickly,” Trump said.Reaffirming his stance, the US President added, “Whether it’s popular or not popular, I have to do it, because I’m not going to let the world be blown up on my watch. It’s not going to happen.”Earlier on Monday, Trump said he had “put off” a planned attack on Iran for a short period following “big discussions” with the Islamic Republic over the ongoing West Asia crisis.Trump said Saudi Arabia, Qatar, United Arab Emirates and some other countries had requested the US delay the action for a few days as they believed negotiations were close to yielding a deal.“I put it (attack on Iran) off for a little while, hopefully maybe forever, but possibly for a little while because we’ve had very big discussions with Iran, and we’ll see what they amount to. I was asked by Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE and some others if we could put it off for two or three days, a short period of time, because they think that they are getting very close to making a deal,” he said.Trump described the development as positive but said it remained uncertain whether the talks would lead to a breakthrough.“It’s a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything,” Trump added.He further stated that multiple countries were directly engaging with US officials and Iran in an effort to resolve the situation diplomatically.“I was called by these three countries, plus others, and they’re dealing directly with our people and right now, Iran. There seems to be a very good chance that they can work something out. If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I will be very happy,” the US President added.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *